Sunday, February 11, 2007

Post trip thoughts

We've been back for a week now, from our trip to Ghana and Scotland, and in many ways I am still recovering. Recovering in both a mental and physical sense. Physically, from the bug we had and from a bit of jet lag. Last night I slept a good 11 hours! So, hopefully, that will help.

Mentally, several things are going on. First, I really enjoyed the trip, the places we saw, being in Ghana, being with Nate, Karen, and Quentin. In fact, I think I enjoyed it so much that it is a bit hard to get back to my regular routine at work. Second, several of my close co-worker friends have decided to take an early-out retirement offer at work and I think that has me pondering work more and my own retirement. Lastly, the trip to two such different places, and the experiences in each has me thinking about the world, politics, the U.S., and what I might do to make things better. So, to say the least, my mind is full - of memories of the trip, of my work and future retirement, and of the world we live in.

The trip to Ghana was quite an incredible experience. Having Steve there made the trip so different than it would have been without him. Steve's house is right in the middle of a small community - surrounded by local people, termite mounds, chickens, and all the sounds of a small village. Staying there was a remarkable part of our trip. On several occasions I was reminded of our times in Nicaragua in Puerto Momotombo visiting Sierra. The chance to live in a small local community provides insights into a country and culture that a more normal tourist visit could never do. In both instances it is a bit of an odd experience. We are there, but yet we are strangers. We can get a sense of life there, but never really understand because we have a home and life elsewhere. But, nonetheless, the experience is rich and wonderful.

One of the best parts of our visit in Ghana was when we spent the day with Steve walking around the Buduburam refugee camp. This is something we never would have done without someone there to guide us around. It was great to meet so many people and to get the chance to talk with them about their lives and hopes. We learned a lot and hopefully can now help others to learn about the Liberians and their situation. Another great part of the trip was the day Steve invited several of his friends over for dinner. Again, we got to meet and talk to many Liberians about their lives and plans. And we just had fun too, laughing and eating and enjoying a nice meal together. It was a memorable evening.

Then we flew to Scotland - which was quite the contrast in many ways. It was colder, quieter, more modern, and Quentin was there! We had such a great time here too. We saw so many absolutely beautiful places. But I think the Isle of Skye was my favorite. The snow-capped peaks, the amazing cliffs along the coast, places like the"Fairy Glen", the sky and clouds and sun - it added up to a feeling of being in a magical place. And to be able to share that with Nate, Karen, and Quentin made it even more special. Add to that some incredible trips to distilleries and breweries, some outstanding bird watching (with several unfortunate misses of target birds.... but it's all part of the wonder of birdwatching), and ancient ruins and castles and you have the formula for a most amazing time.

So, I feel blessed to have had the chance to take these two trips. And to share time with Steve and then with Quentin. And to travel with Nate and Karen. These are times in my life that make the best memories and that make me glad to be alive!

1 Comments:

At 2:45 AM, Blogger Laurel said...

Sounds like an amazing trip! Thanks for the videos of your travels, it's fun to see everything you did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home