Sunday, November 12, 2006

Zacatecas, Mexico

We're back from a really great week in Zacatecas. The work part went really well, and the vacation part was great too! I gave my presentation on Friday, and I got good feedback. One really special part was when my tocayo (person with same name) Ricardo told me that my presentation really motivated him and he wants to go back to his office and tell all the others there about what he learned. That made me feel really good. He and Mom had a nice visit one night too, over dinner, and on Friday, he gave us a nice card and two bottles of Rompope, which is like an egg-nog liqueur.

Another of the participants in the workshop, Miguel, was also the Director of a museum. The museum is called Museo Rafael Coronel, and is has the largest collection of masks in the world. There is also a part where there are some works by Diego Rivera and his daughter, Ruth. Miguel was really knowledgeable and took a group of us on a private tour of the museum.

Mom spent most of the days walking the city and stopping at other museums and churches. She had a good time and did well communicating. In the late afternoons and evenings we'd both walk around and sightsee and then pick out a restaurant for dinner. We had some really good meals, and even some local wine. Our last night we were sitting in a park, watching a beautiful fountain display, when a group of three college students approached us. They wanted to interview us for a project and asked us various questions about the city, and how safe we felt, and what the city cold do to improve. It was a lot of fun to talk with them.

Today we both miss being there and using our Spanish. But the good news is, I'm pretty sure I will be invited back, and the next workshop will probably be in the south part of Mexico, where Mom and I both really want to visit. So, I hope it happens!

Here are a few pix of our visit for your enjoyment.
We toured an old silver mine, took a ride above the city in a cable car, took a tour bus around the city, sat on the plazas and ate fruit, and toured the museums.

2 Comments:

At 3:50 AM, Blogger Q Schroe said...

Wowza! It looks like you guys are having as much fun as I am! I'll have to kick it up a notch to stay ahead . . .

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Justin Schroeder said...

You guys are so cool!!! I am so excited/happy for both of you - for following your dreams, for speaking spanish, for the new experiences you're having. Way cool. I wish I could have been there with you. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home