Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Day 2 - and another new bird!

Yesterday I woke to blue skies here. I started the day at my conferecne, but after lunch I couldn't take it any more. Th forecast for the rest of the week is rain. So I headed up to hike another mountain. and it was one of the best days I could have imagined!

A quick run down of the highlights -

Blueberries and crow berries galore - I could have sustained myself on the mountain with just these.

A raven and red fox in the alpine. The raven flew over sqawking and then flew down to the ground, so i looked with my binocs and there was a beautiful red fox. They both kind of looked at each other, approaching and then retreating. I didn't see any food, but maybe that was what it was about. Finally the fox took off and the raven stayed.

When I reached the top of mountain, I could see Denali peak (highest in N. america) - it was over 100 miles away, but was still huge. It was quite a sight. The last time I saw that mountain was in 1966 when I came here with my parents.

Then to top it off, a northern harrier (a kind of hawk) flew over, and scared up some big birds. Well, part of the reason I had hiked all over the tundra was to see some rock ptarmigan. so, I walked over to where the birds landed and there wer 5 or 6 rock ptarmigan!!!! New bird #2 on this trip!

Now this morning it is raining, so no more adventures until Thursday, when I have the day free. Love you all.

2 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger Nate said...

I am so jealous. That sounds just awesome, what a great chance to have some fun on a business trip... All those outdoor hikes and so much nature! Sorry about the rain, hopefully Thursday will give you another winner...

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Justin Schroeder said...

So glad you're having a good time. It's raining here, too. It must be fantastic to put some more notches in the big bad bird list, but you're doing it! It's cool that you remember being there with your parents. Love you, J and J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home