Wednesday, May 14, 2008

North Dakota and new birds!

I'm off to North Dakota next week for work, and as is often the case, I want to get out and do some birdwatching. There are two sparrows that breed in North Dakota ( and not much elsewhere in the U.S.) that I will be searching for. But as you can see by these photos - these two little buggers really look very much alike. One is a LeConte's sparrow and one is Nelson's sharp-tailed sparrow. The good news is that their songs are distinctive and I have been listening to them and learning them. So, with a little luck I will be able to add these to my life list. The more birds I see the harder the new ones get!

3 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, Blogger Laurel said...

Pretty birds! But I can't believe they're two different species... Good luck!

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Nate said...

Should be pretty easy - that top one looks fatter. :)

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Q Schroe said...

Way to beat me to the punch line Nate!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home