Thursday, May 08, 2008

Springtime birding


I really enjoy this time of year, because there are so many birds migrating through the area. I usually try to get out early a few mornings and check some good spots to see what is there. Two days ago, I stopped at the Grandview Cemetery on the way to work. There weren't too many migrant birds yet, but I did find a great horned owl nest with three almost fully grown young. I told John Bartholow about it and he went today and took this photo. One of the adults is on the left and one of the young is on the right. The other two young birds must be hunkered down. Pretty cool!

3 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Blogger Karen Solas said...

WHOA! That's so cool! This totally doesn't compare, but the other day when I was walking Bruno a cooper's hawk swooped down right in front of us and then landed in a little tree like 15 feet away from us. The most exciting thing? I actually knew it was a cooper's hawk!! I just had my first birding hike for work last weekend and I learned yellow-rumped and black-and-white warblers. Baby steps...

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Laurel said...

Wow, that is cool! They're so pretty!

I'm planning to go check out the 'magic hedge' to see what kinds of birds are coming through Chicago.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Pinolera said...

Very awesome! I have been noticing a lot of chirpers in my area recently as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home