Thursday, March 02, 2006

Owling tomorrow!

Switching from wine making back to my other favorite pastime, I am heading out at 3:30 a.m. tomorrow in search of a new bird. There are several small species of owls that I heave never seen (or heard) and I got a good tip on one that is being heard up Rist canyon. It's called a saw-whet owl.
They are only 8 inches tall! I'll try to imitate their call and see if I can get one to respond. Should be fun, and if I am successful there are 2 other species of owl I may try for in other places. Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Nate said...

Now that's one crazy looking bird. Is it true that owls are unique among birds to have true binocular vision? I guess maybe "binocular" is the wrong word, I just mean I can't think of any other birds that have two forward-facing eyes - they all seem to be on the sides of their head and can't see the same thing.

Anyway, sounds like fun, good luck!!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Rick said...

Nator - you are right in that owls (and other birds of prey) have binocular vision. I think it is a matter of degree and owls have more than other birds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home