Thursday, May 14, 2009

Backyard birds at pond and waterfall

This evening over the course of maybe an hour or so, there was a parade of birds coming in to the waterfall and pond for drinks and bathing. The moving water is such a great attraction. Here is a list of birds that visited the water feature in that short time:

Virginia's warbler
Many yellow-rumped warblers
blackpoll warbler
orange-crowned warbler
yellow warbler
chipping sparrow
Brewer's sparrow
American robin
common grackle
western tanager
house finch
black-capped chickadee
Swainson's thrush
Empidonax flycatcher

Marianne and I sat in chairs nearby and enjoyed one of the best shows that nature has to offer. What a great time of year. I didn't take this photo, but wanted to show how beautiful the western tanager is.

4 Comments:

At 5:38 AM, Blogger Pinolera said...

You guys have a backyard bird sanctuary, that is so awesome! This has been a great spring - hard to believe we are already transitioning to full summer!!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Nate said...

Cooool! Fun to have them all come and parade by you...

For my part, I've been spending more time in the woods the last few days than in the whole last year, and it's been AWESOME! We're talking hours deep in the woods, no trails in sight, just tons of birdsong and dappled sunshine and meadows and thickets and hills and rotting logs and little streams. Really, really nice.

And yesterday I twice ran into two owls, I'm going to guess they were barred owls but I didn't have binoculars to get a better look, but they were big and noisy. I didn't really get any of the "who cooks for you" sound, but it was more like what this page calls the "hoo-wah" sound: http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?genus=Strix&species=varia

You think barred owls might be right?

They got nervous and flew a bit, which set off some crows to come and harass them, so I tried to steer around them from then on. Pretty cool!

... and cardinals, and spring flowers... and morels! :)

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Rick said...

Nate - man, your woodland excursions sound wonderful! Where are you doing these? I think you are right on the barred owl i.d., and good job looking up their other calls!

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Nate said...

Nice try! I'm not telling you where I'm going when I'm hunting morels! :) Ok, maybe in person, but I'm not posting it on the blog...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home