Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Busy times - quick update

Yowza, been too busy to post anything for a while. So, thought I'd better toss out a quick update on the happenings.

Mom and I helped out at an immigrant rights rally in Fort Collins on Sunday. Between 500-1,000 people marched and rallied, and it was a good event. In Denver on Monday there were almost 100,000 people at their rally. It is really raising the issue and pointing out that the current system is badly broken. I just hope that whatever passes in Congress is a move in a good direction, and not a step backward. I read a good piece online about a good long term idea - that the U.S. could develop a plan to funnel money and support to Mexico and Central American countries to help them build their economies and jobs. It seems like the best idea is to use our wealth and power to help these countries, so folks there can get decent jobs and support their families and not even want to leave.

We've also been busy with lots of house and yard work. When I went to turn on our automated watering system, there were several problems, so I have to repair some hose and pipe, etc. And the springtime outdoor chores are always a long list. We got a lot done, but the last week has been busy with other stuff, so yard work is getting put off a bit.

We have two batches of wine almost ready to bottle - the Spanish Rioja and the German Thurgau-Muller. Yum! And then we will make a malbec, and then take a break for the summer. It has been a lot of fun, and we're learning and enjoying our new hobby.

We're super excited for our trip to Minneapolis. Hopefully, we can help a bit and relax a bit and maybe even see a few new birds! I have several target species - mostly eastern warblers that I'd love to add to my list. I'm at 514, so if I want to get to 600 species in North America, I need to get going!

Love to all.

1 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger Nate said...

Good stuff. I've been reading a lot and catching pieces on NPR about the ongoing immigration debate, it's been interesting. Some of the arguments from the right are so crazy it's hard to even respond... Frustrating.

I hear you about the yard work! Hopefully you can get things in a stable place before you leave so there's not a lot waiting for you. Can't wait to see you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home