Saturday, December 17, 2005

Project completed - now on to the cookies!

Oh boy, I am pretty excited to say that our project is done! The closet is painted, the doors are hung, the mistakes have been corrected, and I even put a fresh coat of paint on our two little stools (which we got free from some electric company, oh maybe 30 years ago!). So, hip hip hooray for Mom and me. Now we can move on to important stuff like making Christmas cookies.

Tomorrow night we will decorate our tree, and I put new lights outside (although Mom just told me that part of them aren't working. How can only part of them not work? - sometimes I wonder...are there gremlins out there?). It's hard to explain how excited I am to have everyone here for Christmas. It just feels wonderful, it warms my heart, it feels like a gift from all of you. It is even more special because it is also Sierra's homecoming. They always say that part of the joy of doing something is in the planning and anticipation, and I have to agree, I am already having a great time just getting ready for our time together.

I have a feeling this week at work will be a little slow. Lots of folks will be gone, and for me, I think it may be a hard week to concentrate. But I have only one must do thing this week, I have to get a paper sent out to a journal. That is one part of my job that is hard, but that I really enjoy - getting some of my work published.

Only 6 more days til the excitement starts! Hasta entonces.

3 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Blogger Nate said...

Re: Christmas lights - I think usually those strands are set up as at least three separate circuits wrapped together. Then every third light taps into the same line, so it's possible to have only every third light out or some combination... Make sense? I'm not sure why they do it that way, but I've seen it. Maybe so that one bad bulb doesn't take the whole strand out, and you have a chance of finding it quicker?

As for the holiday itself, ONE MORE WEEK!!! I can't wait at all... Going to be awesome. Can't wait to see everyone and Bruno to meet Rager!

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Nate said...

Ok, more than you wanted to know, but worth knowing: Howstuffworks.com It is three lines in parrallel, but I didn't know about the shunt. So probably a loose connection somewhere? Now you have to post and let us know.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Rick said...

Nator -

It was actaully 1/2 of one string that was out. Q had said that they wire part of them with a third wire, maybe to help isolatwe the problem area. anyway, I looked over that entire section and no bulbs were loose or out of the socket, so i jiggled them all and still no luck. so, I know if I looked over each bulb I could isolate it, but... I'm taking them back for another set tomorrow.

I liked the website, intersting idea about the little shunt, makes a lot of sense. And as they say, you get waht you pay for. These things are so cheap I wonder how they can even ship them to this country. I doubt the factory worker sees but a few pennies for their work. Ahh, globalization and the spirit of Christmas. I'd be glad to pay a bit more for a lot of things IF I knew it would go the the worker.

Thanks for the help! Love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home