Saturday, December 03, 2005

A new house project



Well, it started out seeming like an easy and straightforward project... but things always seem to get more complicated. We decided to take down the old closet and storage area and repaint the back room (washer/drier room), and rebuild a larger closet and storage area. Here's the area with everything stripped down.



Since we were going to paint everything, Mom started fixing up the woodwork around the doors, etc. The folks who used to live here (that many years ago!) had dogs, and they had scratched the doors frames and messed it up a bunch. So, Mom has been adding wood filler and sanding a lot! And them it takes several coats of paint to cover it all up, so it has been a lot bigger project in that sense than we envisioned. Check out the scratches and filler:












The last photo is the closet, storage area part way done. I had a few mistakes in measuring and had to make some adjustments, but I think it will all come out ok. I can never quite envision all the details, and then when I start building, I realize - "hey that won't fit like I thought it would". So, hopefully it will all be done and painted by the time everyone gathers here for the holidays. That or Mom and I will be crazy!

1 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger Nate said...

Awesome! I'm not going to recognize the place when I get there - it sounds like you both have been doing a ton of work...

And yeah, I totally understand the "well, this should be a nice weekend project" idea turning into a "holy smokes, this is taking forever...". Yeesh. Hopefully it will end up ok and not stress you out too bad.

Or, hey, isn't there a healthy and able kid still living there rent free? Sounds like your labor problem is solved!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home